Friday, May 18, 2012

Finally..... My "Dream" Mora Kniv!

I have owned Mora knives since I was a kid... A few bucks, sharp as a razor, and as long as you gave them a good patina or regular oiling, they held an edge and lasted far longer than a kid could keep from losing them... This is my EDC as of today, at least when building knives or Bushcrafting... $10 knife and until recently, was my favorite knife...

So, after I built Pamela a nice little hand carved kitchen Paring knife, I decided to take one of these inexpensive blades and see just how nice a knife I could build...

I chose Oregon Juniper for a couple reasons... First, it reminds me of home. Second, it is a VERY beautiful wood, relatively light, and when properly stabilized, tough as nails...



I  also have been very poor at remembering to stop at intervals along the way to show each different step in the process... I will try to keep it interesting, i.e., not take a picture every 5 minutes, but just enough so you all can see the progression of the piece...

The blade, as I receive them...


The next few shots show it all assembled, and in the later sanding stages.. Its too bad, since it was quite a bit of work, especially with the Antler Horn rear piece and trying to get a clean fit... At this point, mostly files, rasps, and very coarse sandpaper has been used... Its now time to start with the fine stuff. I start (at this stage) with 220 grit wet/dry, ending up with 600 grit..






Now the knife hanging after an overnight soak in Pure Tung oil.... Tung Oil finish (not the laquer called "Tung Oil Finish") is the finest finish for wood, but it is a LOT of work. instead of wipe on, let dry, then buff (as is with the "finishes like Fornbys and others), it is soak, wipe off, let dry. Then rub, and rub, and rub... Then, add another coat with your fingers, and rub, and rub, and... well, you get the idea..



Now, the last few pictures are of the finished product, along with custom sheath (that has yet to be form-finished and waxed).. Big difference between the finished product and the final picture, which is of my previously favorite knife at work, finding good Fatwood...

Enjoy, and thanks for looking...








1 comment:

  1. INSANE!!! That has to be the fanciest Mora I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete